Wednesday, March 4, 2009

So, yesterday I was very pleased to have my extreme nerdy side explode with joy because of the date, 3/3/09! Bulgaria's Liberation Day? No silly, square root day! There hasn't been one of these since 2/2/04, and there won't be another one until 2016, so it's clear why these are a supreme cause for celebration. Before the turn of the millennium, there wasn't a square root day since 1981! Also, this particular day just compounds what is already a super-mathematical month (March is, of course, also home to pi day, 3/14). This pi day I'll be at home, so hopefully I'll find something exciting to do. During high school, pi day was always marked by a "pi-eating" contest, and a "recite as many digits of pi as you can" contest. I attempted to memorize as many as I could every year, but there was always that guy who could rocket off 300 digits at abnormally quick speeds. Oh well.
It's been a couple weeks since the last gratuitously geeky gala, which is more for the computer science nerds, a group which I definitely don't purport to be a valid member of. February 13th was 1234567890 day, which marked 1234567890 seconds in Unix time since the Coordinated Universal Clock started in 1970. Nice, right?
Anyways, because of my midterm schedule I wasn't able to partake in any of the traditional methods of celebration for square root day, but if you decided to make a boozeday tuesday out of your square root day (as I'm pretty sure a few kids were doing in the library last night), hopefully you took a shot or two in the honor of Euclid and Pythagoras.

In other news, you can sleep safely tonight knowing that you narrowly escaped death a few days ago. Doesn't that just make you feel warm and fuzzy? Not to mention the fact that NASA didn't notice it for two days. Interesting...

Anyways, today has it's own significance as well, but I'll spare you. I had a killer migraine last night that resulted in me going to sleep probably earlier than I have in two months (12:30), and I should be studying right now, but of course I'm not. So, I'm going to go do that. In the meantime, relish your nerdiness, cherish it, water it and keep it in the sun, and it'll pay off eventually.

2 comments: