Wednesday, February 18, 2009

So, I'll admit fully, I'm currently feeling mostly better, but I decided to continue malingering and I'm not going to work today. I had a pretty interesting day yesterday; a couple of my classes were cancelled so I had most of the day to myself, I took the chance to go into Harvard to buy new Thursday, which hasn't disappointed me in the least, although I think it might take a little getting used to. It was a really great feeling, waiting in line to buy a new album. It's something I haven't really done since decemberunderground came out almost three years ago.
On my way back, a random homeless man told me I looked down and to keep my head up. Kind of taken by this, I bought him a cup of coffee and had him tell me, completely unsolicited, that everything would be okay, just to imagine the best possible ending to whatever I'm going through and do my best to get myself there. I'm not sure whether the best possible ending is in fact "possible," but thanks for the advice anyway, whoever you are.

In the meantime, I found myself completely disgusted by the news this morning. Apparently the conservative right now thinks that sex, gender, and queer studies aren't legitimate sociological topics, and that having students learn about the sociopolicial implications of new movements in human sexuality and gender is a waste of money. The story was extremely poorly done, because they skewed the fact that these professors perform research in the areas of oral sex and male prostitution to say that they teach instructional courses on these topics, which is obviously not true. It's yet to be seen if this is going to cause very much of a stir; as far as I know, none of the prominent gender theorists have responded to it. But anyways:

No comments:

Post a Comment