Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Hurt Locker, Throw Me The Statue

So, my main occupation in life right now is wishing that I was at Comic Con. Life is pretty exciting though, after a bout of insane sickness last week, I've turned things around and I'm looking forward to pushing through these last couple of weeks of summer school and going home. This weekend I'm going to Worcester Fest on Saturday to see some bands I've been wanting to see for a long time (Energy, Set Your Goals, Vanna, Transit) and then Sunday I'm going on a day trip to Maine with my Aunt and Uncle. So I'm quite excited.

Last night I saw The Hurt Locker with my Philosophy and Film class. It was intense, suspenseful, smart and exhausting. Really really good film. I recommend it. The lead character is the guy from S.W.A.T. who had a brief part in 28 Weeks Later. I don't remember his name but I'm pretty sure that if Keifer Sutherland and Daniel Craig had a man-child, it would be him. Jeremy Renner, that's it. His name, that is.

-------------------------------------------------

PS, the wonderful folks over at Secretly Canadian records recently posted a track listing and artwork for the new Throw Me The Statue record, which is coming out on August 4th. This is such a fun wonderful band, introduced to me by special people and to be enjoyed with special people. It's great summertime music as well.

via Secretly Canadian:


Perhaps more sonically upbeat than its predecessor, Creaturesque's details are at times painted in both optimistic and sobering tones. Reitherman's scattershot poetics touch on an array of ideas; it's oppressive American machisimo and Suburbanite sexuality. It's soft drugs and convertible cars. It's the struggle for higher expectations within the mess of modern life, and when wrapped up in the structures of TMTS' sure-handed tunes it's an all too delicious combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment