Saturday, July 25, 2009

I saw the film Moon tonight with Sarah between bouts of studying and essay-writing, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was strange, funny, moving, thought-provoking, and at times disturbing. Sam Rockwell's performance was a pleasure to watch, and he did amazing things with a script that was at times conventional and suffered from a lack of restraint. All in all, awesome movie. I missed Worcester fest today to study, but luckily it's not a decision I'm regretting, as I got a lot done today. Before seeing Moon, Sarah and I went to a new Thai place I've been meaning to try, and it was pretty awesome. The restaurant was filled with blackboards that taught you how to say a million different versions of "I am happy" in Thai. So wonderful. I got the basil fried rice (as usual) with shrimp (not as usual) and was surprised and sort of interested to find that onion was the center of attention in the fried rice, even more than the shrimp. It was a really interesting take and I loved it. Mmmmm. Day of productive work, good food, nightcapped with a good movie = wins.

I added some new blogs to the "others" section that are worth checking out. Most of these are blogs about independent cinema and movies in general (House of Mirth and Movies, Twitch, Surface Noice, Worldweird Cinema), all of which are pleasures to look at and read, and all of which will make you feel that feeling of excitement and sadness that there are tons of interesting, fun, and worthwhile movies out there that you haven't seen, and probably won't have the time to finish watching. I've also added the aptly titled "A Blog About Beer," which speaks for itself. It's hilarious to read (thought not so much as Bacon Today) and should help you transition out of college life, where beers other than, ahem, Natty Ice, exist.

I'm going to Maine tomorrow. I decided that no matter what happens, as long as I consume lobster at some point tomorrow, my trip will be a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment