Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lazy Saturday

I love the carelessness of Saturday afternoons. You're still riding the high of the week's end, thinking about your Friday night, not yet reclaimed by the irreverent demon of stress and responsibility.
Although this feeling won't last too long for me, I'm enjoying this morning. Last night was fairly intense, I sat down in the library after lunch and wrote a new article I'm working on from 3PM to midnight, then went back to my room and edited and ate junk food to my content, finally slipping away into sleep at around 3. Regardless of the fact that I felt really lonely and kind of like a loser during the entirety of this endeavor, I felt really accomplished and awesome, and I've spent the morning fantasizing about writing more awesome papers and becoming really important.
As for now, the feeling has slipped away and I have to answer to the pile of reading I have for this weekend.
For the time being though, I think I'll have nothing to do with it, and instead leave you with this interesting tidbit (well, ten page tidbit I guess).
UChicago evolutionary biologist Jerry Coyne is creating quite a stir as usual, attracting the attention of some notable names, particularly Steven Pinker and Daniel Dennett. His article discusses some of the main arguments of theists (mostly theist scientists) for the eternal reconciliation of religion and science. The reviews and responses are pretty amusing.
This is an issue that has troubled me for most of my life, and I agree with Coyne: attempts to reconcile science and religion are mostly a waste of time. There are two reasons for this, both based in the plural nature of human life: no two people have consistent definitions and ideas of God, creation, and/or evolution, and additionally simply because people are just plain stubborn about this topic. One issue that I think is resolvable is the tendency of both communities (scientific and religious) to posit that "evolution" in and of itself and creationism are opposites, that it's one or the other. Evolution is not a theory by which moral reasoning can be justified; rather, it is completely disconnected from any questions of moral and ethical consideration. Creationism, can however, from its basest implications be used as a tool with which to deal with issues of morality if you choose. As Pinker put it, the most important consideration for both communities to use and realize is not mutually exclusive is reason and the responsible use thereof.

I don't know. HERE's the article. I had my turn to rant, let me know what you think.

Now, it's time for homework. In other news, Adam's 19th birthday is coming up, and tonight we're having a few people over, our first attempt at any kind of get-together in our room, so I'll be looking forward to see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment